Death Toll From Israeli Strikes on Rafah in Gaza Strip Increases to 100, Reports Say
© AP Photo / Hatem AliPalestinians search for survivors after an Israeli airstrike on a residential building In Rafah
© AP Photo / Hatem Ali
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Earlier in the day, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said that it had carried out strikes on "terror targets" in the Shaboura area of the city of Rafah.
The number of people killed as a result of Israeli strikes on the city of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip has risen to 100, Al Mayadeen broadcaster reported on Monday, citing medical sources.
Over 230 people received injuries due to Israeli strikes, the report added.
Israel has been pounding Rafah for several days in preparation for a ground offensive that aims to root out Hamas. The city is the last refuge for over a million Palestinians who were told to relocate south during the past four months of the Israeli military operation in the enclave.
The United States, Canada, Germany and other Western allies of Israel have criticized the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for ordering a ground operation in the packed city, warning of an imminent humanitarian disaster.